In November of 1934, the bodies of three young girls were found on South Mountain along Centerville Road (Rt. 233) in Penn Township. No readily identifiable information was available to determine who they were, and the ensuing investigation of the mystery attracted nation-wide attention.
Smith, David L.
The Camp Michaux historical site is located in Cooke Township on the slopes of South Mountain about two miles from Pine Grove Furnace State Park. The site is located along Michaux Road, about 1 ¼ miles north of Pine Grove Road (State Route 233) in Michaux State Forest.
In 1933, the newly elected president, Franklin D. Roosevelt initiated a variety of steps to deal with the drastic effects of the Great Depression. Collectively these initiatives were known as the “New Deal.” One of those efforts was the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC).
The Cumberland County Register of Historic Places was organized by the Cumberland County Historical Society (CCHS) to recognize places of local historic significance that may not qualify for placement on the National Register of Historic Places.
The 2012 issue of Cumberland County History is an eclectic mix of articles spanning from the eighteenth to the twentieth centuries. It has been a pleasure to review the numerous articles submitted over the past year. They have included a wide variety of topics and have been extremely well written and researched. Sufficient articles were submitted to warrant two issues. A number of submissions are being held for publication in 2013. I am certain that the eight articles published in this issue will be of interest to our readers.
The 2013 issue of Cumberland County History marks the 30th year of publication of the Journal. That alone is an important milestone, but it is also appropriate at this time to acknowledge the significant contribution to the success of this publication made by Executive Director, Linda F. Witmer. Her ongoing support for the Journal has made it possible to continue publication during the rich and the lean times at CCHS. She has made an indelible mark on the Society in so many ways and this publication, in its thirtieth year speaks to the success of her tenure at the Society.
The 2014 edition of Cumberland County History includes articles on a wide variety of topics stretching from the eighteenth century to the twentieth century. The articles focus on individuals, caves, tugboats, schools, and flags — quite an unusual collection.
With the 2011 issue of Cumberland County History, a new feature will appear in the Journal. The new feature will be an opportunity for our readers to learn more about the extensive and varied collections housed at the Cumberland County Historical Society in irs library, museum, and photo archives.
Transcriptions of newspaper articles by Mark W Podvia and Joan McBride. On April 7, 1893, the Evening Sentinel reported that Frederick Douglass was making his first visit to Carlisle when he addressed the students at the Carlisle Indian School. His presence at the school was also subsequently reported in the school's publication, The Indian Helper, on April14, 1893 and April21, 1893.
During the colonial era, Cumberland County was on the western frontier of colonial settlement. Although treaties had been signed allowing legal settlement, peaceful relations with Native Americans was not achieved until the 1770s.