The Carlisle Borough Charter claims that the First Lutheran Church began about 1765 when the German immigrants of Reformed and Lutheran church background worshiped together in a union church on South Hanover Street near South Street.1 In 1807, the church divided and the Lutherans built
Second Presbyterian Church of Carlisle
James Hamilton, Jr., founder of the Hamilton Library Association and what became the Cumberland County Historical Society, was born in Carlisle, Pennsylvania on October 16, 1793, the only son of Judge James Hamilton (born 1752 in Belfast, Ireland, died February 13, 1819) and his wife Sarah Thomson, daughter of Rev. William and Susanna Ross Thomson.
Interview of Cassie Line for the Elizabeth V. and George F. Gardner Digital Library. Line discusses her early life growing up at Greystone and Pomfret Street as well as the many friends and family she has known including stories of her husband Jim Line.
Captain William E. Miller was one of the few Cumberland County residents who won the Medal of Honor during the Civil War. However, Miller may be the most distinctive honoree for winning his medal by going against his orders. Miller was born to a farming family in West Hill, Cumberland County, one mile west of Plainfield in West Pennsboro Township. As a young man, Miller ran his father’s farm and was establishing a small family of his own, when his life was interrupted by the call to war in 1861.
Interview of Eugene Schlosnagle for the Second Presbyterian Church and the Elizabeth V. and George F. Gardner Digital Library. Schlosnagle discusses his involvement with Second Presbyterian as well as his experiences during World War II and teaching veterans how to farm.