Local legend reported that a lone caller for the telegraph tower which stood in the area, across the river from Harrisburg, made the suggestion that "Alone" might be an apt name. In reverse, this is "Enola" and this could well have been the derivation of the town's name, but, further research into the matter, revealed that Enola is named after a little girl called Enola Miller.
CCHS Publications Browsing
The Hoge family of America is of pure Scottish ancestry. Their ancestors came from the heart of Scotland, near Edinburgh, where they lived until religious and political difficulties drove them away.
This village is located on Cedar Run in Lower Allen Township approximately 500 feet upstream from its confluence with the Yellow Breeches Creek. The topographic features of this site created the first interest in the area. Located in a dell cut by Cedar Run, which falls rapidly to the level of the Yellow Breeches, it offered an ideal source of water power for the operation of the early mills. In addition, there was a large spring adjacent to Cedar Run that was used by the early residents to draw their water and was reportedly also used to power one of the mills.
New Cumberland has an ancient and vivid history. It has developed from an Indian settlement into the trading post of a French-Indian half-breed and later into the dream of a wealthy iron maker.
A persuasive case could be made that New Kingstown should properly be named "Junkintown. " Consider, Joseph Junkin was the first settler. His home, before settling in Silver Spring Township near Stoney Ridge was a farm which lay on both sides of a line in Ireland separating County Down and County Antrim. Leaving Ulster about 1736, he settled at first in Chester County where he married a Scot, Elizabeth Wallace. They took up 500 acres of land in Cumberland County.
Most people are unaware of the unique origin of the Borough of Newville, Cumberland County. Early towns usually grew up around springs, taverns or industries. Newville was planned by a church and laid out on church property.
Shippensburg, the second oldest town west of the Susquehannah river, was named for Edward Shippen, but the founding and naming of the town is much more than these simple facts.
The first question that a frightened world asked about Three Mile Island on 28 March 1979 was how long the place could be expected to stay on the map. As fear subsided enough to suggest that it might be there for a long time, the question shifted to the more curious, "How did the place get its unusual name?" That question is not simply answered; six years of curiosity and research have yielded more conjectures than proofs.
It is known that on 4 December 1749 Thomas Cookson, surveyor who in 1751-1752 laid out and purchased the town site for Carlisle, asked Thomas Penn for permission to buy the future Three Mile Island. When he died in 1753 Cookson had not completed his acquisition, but the land appeared in his estate records merely as an unpurchased, unnamed "island in the Susquehanna."
Variously known as Neidigtown, Maytown, Poverty Point, and Fairview, the village at the mouth of the Condoguinet got its final name in 1852 with the establishment there of a post office. There being another Maytown, in Lancaster County plus a Fairview in Erie County, and "Poverty Point" tending to be an auslander's slur, "West" was added in reference to the view from the town of the Susquehanna and the East Shore.
The building of the first Susquehanna River bridge from Harrisburg to Cumberland County brought about the beginning of the first west shore community, Wormleysburg. When Cumberland County was established in 1750, the west shore for "five or six miles back from the river" since 1736 had already been reserved by the Penn family for the use of the Shawnee Indians. However, the Indians moved on to the west.