The Cumberland County Register of Historic Places was organized by the Cumberland County Historical Society (CCHS) to recognize places of local historic significance that may not qualify for placement on the National Register of Historic Places.
Salem Church on the Carlisle Pike in Hampden Township, the three-span stone bridge at Fisher’s Fording (Houston’s Mill), and many substantial stone houses east of Carlisle were built by William McHose and his brother John between the years 1810 and 1826.
The National Register of Historic Places was organized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966.
Shiremanstown is a small community located twelve miles east of Carlisle and five miles west of Harrisburg. It derives its name from Daniel Shireman (1753-1810), one of the early land owners and settlers of the land that made up most of the town.
The Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission (PHMC) has overseen a program to recognize important historical sites throughout the Commonwealth since 1946. Prior to that, a program existed that identified historical sites with a plaque.