Carlisle man’s painting exhibited at the Museum of Modern Art
In 1932, New York’s Museum of Modern Art held an exhibit titled “American Folk Art of the Common Man in America 1750-1900.” One of the paintings in the exhibit was titled “
In 1932, New York’s Museum of Modern Art held an exhibit titled “American Folk Art of the Common Man in America 1750-1900.” One of the paintings in the exhibit was titled “
The Carlisle Herald and the American Volunteer were the two major newspapers in Carlisle for most of the nineteenth century. The Carlisle Herald was the organ of the Republicans, and the American Volunteer was the organ of the Democrats.
A pamphlet entitled “Milestones of Carlisle Schools 1836-1986” was issued for the sesquicentennial of the school district's founding. It includes the following information:
In 1844, a Mr. Richards of Reading, Berks County Pennsylvania, having heard from some residents of Reading that Carlisle was called the “Athens of Pennsylvania,” he decided to visit it and see for himself. When he returned to Reading his impressions of Carlisle were published in the April 17, 1844, edition of the “Reading Journal.” The “Carlisle Weekly Herald” published it for “the curiosity of its readers” in the April 24, 1844, edition of the newspaper.
In 1818, Jacob Baughman of Carlisle drew a map of Carlisle noting the locations of churches, graveyards, public buildings, still houses, tanneries, and the names by which each of the borough’s street corners were known.1 His map shows “Black Rock” on the north west corner of Main and W
Ice skating parks were very popular in the United States from the 1860s to the 1890s. They were not just places to skate, but places to socialize during the dark days of winter. In 1870, Mrs.
Fronting on Church Avenue, adjoining St. John’s Episcopal Church on the Square, the eight brick houses that make up Carlisle’s Irvine Row are the rare survivors of an intact nineteenth-century streetscape. They stand on Lot #171 in the original plan of Carlisle.
While people are familiar with the Suffragist movement of the 19th and early 20th centuries that sought to gain equal rights for women, it is hard for us today to imagine that there were women who fought against this.
Andrew Carothers’ was a native of Cumberland County. He was born in 1778 in Silver Spring Township to John and Mary Carothers. His father, John Carothers, served as a County Lieutenant during the Revolutionary War.
In 1805, Thomas Carothers purchased the large stone house on the north west corner of Carlisle’s Square and opened the “Sign of Columbus” tavern.1 The house had belonged to merchant John Montgomery, and it was there that President George Washington hosted a dinner for Governor Thomas M