Miss Alice Mullin and the Mount Holly Springs Post Office Robberies
Mount Holly Springs is situated at a gap in the South Mountain, approximately six miles south of Carlisle.
The Cumberland County Historical Encyclopedia is an expanding publication on the history of the Cumberland County. Covering a wide range of topics and the entire Cumberland County geographic region, the Encyclopedia seeks to be an initial entry point to those interested in the County's history. Entries seek to provide a list of resources available as well as showcasing some of the Cumberland County Historical Society's own collections.
Mount Holly Springs is situated at a gap in the South Mountain, approximately six miles south of Carlisle.
The scene of the murder was the “Sign of the Indian Queen” tavern on Carlisle’s West High Street. The victim was tavernkeeper Robert Grayson. Grayson had been a tavernkeeper in between positions as the county jailer in the 1790s and High Sheriff from 1801-1804.
Children and those who wanted to play an instrument either learned at home from their parents, from relatives, or by instruction from private tutors or traveling music masters.
The National Register of Historic Places was organized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966.
Shortly before 1840, John Cassilus Neff1 and his family settled in Carlisle where he opened his practice as a dentist.2 During the 1840s, Dr.
Margaretta, her husband, John Cassilus Neff1 and their children, settled in Carlisle in 1838. Dr. Neff set up a practice as a dentist, and his wife, Margaretta, opened a millinery shop, both at No. 7 Harper's Row. Mrs.
The Carlisle Weekly Herald reported in its January 5, 1859 edition that “On New Year’s Eve, the custom of “firing off the old year” was indulged in to the usual extent that everything that would make noise, from a Chinese firecracker to an old musket, was in requisition, and a continual
The town of Newville lodges in the northwest corner of Cumberland County.1 The first settler, Andrew Ralston, arrived in 1728.2 The town was founded by Scots-Irish when the Big Spring Presbyterian Church, which dates to 1737, sold lots from its 89 acres in 1790.
The Big Spring Hotel was situated near the Newville Depot on the Cumberland Valley Rail Road. It was enlarged and improved by its owners, the Ahl brothers, in 1860. By May 1860, a three-story brick addition to the back of the hotel was almost finished.1
In 1860, women of almost all social classes purchased clothing from milliners and dressmakers: goods were made to order usually in a small shop with a female entrepreneur.