Fronting on Church Avenue, adjoining St. John’s Episcopal Church on the Square, the eight brick houses that make up Carlisle’s Irvine Row are the rare survivors of an intact nineteenth-century streetscape. They stand on Lot #171 in the original plan of Carlisle.
St. John’s Episcopal Church
Patrick Culp, a mulatto, and the only documented African American cabinetmaker in Cumberland County, was born in Pennsylvania in 1790. A member of Allison United Methodist Church1 and later St.
Interview of Kim and Van Du for the Elizabeth V. and George F. Gardner Digital Library. Kim and Van discuss leaving Vietnam as refugees and coming to the United States, establishing themselves and their family in Carlisle, and their successes since settling.
The Carlisle Borough Charter claims that the First Lutheran Church began about 1765 when the German immigrants of Reformed and Lutheran church background worshiped together in a union church on South Hanover Street near South Street.1 In 1807, the church divided and the Lutherans built
An “honest laborious man” by his own account; a fighting Irishman judging from the number of times he was indicted for assault and battery,1 Guthrie built many houses in Carlisle during the 25 or more years he worked, including the “English” Church (St.
Sarah Hamilton's daughter, Susan Thorn, bequeathed the miniature portrait of her mother “in a square frame” to Mrs. Mary Moore. Its whereabouts are unknown. We are left to form a picture of Sarah Hamilton, or Sally as her husband and her sister Mary Veazey referred to her, from remarks about her in their letters.
Salem Church on the Carlisle Pike in Hampden Township, the three-span stone bridge at Fisher’s Fording (Houston’s Mill), and many substantial stone houses east of Carlisle were built by William McHose and his brother John between the years 1810 and 1826.
“Kriss Kringle’s Head Quarters” and “The Temple of Fancy,” declared Monyer’s newspaper advertisements.1 Monyer’s store was an emporium of delights for children. Its glass cases displayed candy toys, bon-bons, chocolates, fruit drops, and colorful hard candies.
Interview of Nhan Ai Simms by Amanda Gautier and Megan Osborn on November 1, 2015 for the Elizabeth V. and George F. Gardner Digital Library. The interview focuses on the Simms family and experiences in Carlisle and Cumberland County after Vietnam.
In 1751 Carlisle was selected as the county-seat for Cumberland County. The town’s square was eventually divided into four quadrants: south-east (stone quarry /Market House), south-west (Court House), north-west (Presbyterian Church), north-east (Church of England).