James Hamilton, Jr., founder of the Hamilton Library and Historical Association, was born in Carlisle, Pennsylvania on October 16, 1793, the only son of Judge James Hamilton (born 1752 in Belfast, Ireland, died February 13, 1819) and his wife Sarah Thomson, daughter of Rev. William and Susanna Ross Thomson.
Murray, Joseph A.
To mark the 125th anniversary of the Hamilton Library Association Cumberland County History reprints here the Association's first annual report, for the year 1881, and a subsequent annual report, for 1900.
At first like other towns in their incipient state, the people of Carlisle, may have largely depended on their own yards and gardens and out-lots for the supply of their wants with occasional visits by meat dealers and country people. Every family raised something both for summer and winter consumption, and “killing time,” or “butchering time,” as it was generally called, which occurred late in the Fall, after the corn and potatoes had all been housed, was always a season of great plenty, when many a well-fed steer and hog had to yield its life, and its flesh was prepared for future use. Almost every housekeeper put up a winter supply of beef or pork or both, in addition to fruit and vegetables. But as the place increased in size and population the need of a market house became more and more apparent, where butchers and others could bring their meat and produce regularly, and where purchasers could be easily supplied. Nevertheless the practice of fattening and curing meat for future use continued to prevail, though there is very considerably less of it done now than in former years.