South Middleton Township

Robert W. Black

Robert W. Black during the interview.

Interview of Robert W. Black for the Elizabeth V. and George F. Gardner Digital Library an initiative of the Cumberland County Historical Society. Black discusses growing up on a farm in Gardners, Pennsylvania during the Great Depression.

Ronald Hamilton

Image of Ronald Hamilton during Interview

Interview of Ronald Hamilton of the Union Fire Company by Randy Watts on March 31, 2015. The interview focuses on the Union Fire Company in Carlisle, Pennsylvania as well as fire fighting in general.

Marguerite Grove Harnish

Interview of Marguerite Grove Harnish for the Elizabeth V. and George F. Gardner Digital Library. Harnish discusses her family including the story of her mother staying in her house as it was moved across the Holly Pike, her interest in gardening, the Two Mile House. Also discussed is her experience running the Hub, a women's dress shop, and one of her more well known customers Bessie.

History of Uriah United Methodist Church, Gardners

One hundred twenty years ago, in 1878, concerned Christians in the Uriah area of rural southeastern South Middleton Township, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, organized and built a church. It was originally named Flint Ridge Chapel, or more commonly known as just "Chapel," of the Evangelical Association denomination. This denomination had been formed by Jacob Albright in 1800.

Uriah is located in the area of South Middleton Township that residents on the north side of South Mountain call "over the mountain" from Boiling Springs. It is near the border with Adams County. The current address of the church is 925 Goodyear Road, Gardners.

Conrad Reep: Mt. Holly Springs Cabinetmaker & Undertaker

Photo of the grave marker of the Reep family in the Mount Holly Springs cemetery

Conrad Reep, his wife Catharine (Lizman) and their two young daughters emigrated from Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany in 1848. Reep’s brother-in-law, John Lizman, also from Hess-Darmstadt, had immigrated earlier and was a cabinetmaker in Carlisle. Reep settled in Mount Holly Springs, six miles south of Carlisle. In 1856, he declared his intent to become a citizen and was naturalized on November 10, 1858.