The Cumberland County Register of Historic Places was organized by the Cumberland County Historical Society (CCHS) to recognize places of local historic significance that may not qualify for placement on the National Register of Historic Places.
North Newton Township
The town of Newville lodges in the northwest corner of Cumberland County.1 The first settler, Andrew Ralston, arrived in 1728.2 The town was founded by Scots-Irish when the Big Spring Presbyterian Church, which dates to 1737, sold lots from its 89 acres in 1790.
Isabella Oliver, (July 16, 1771—June 7, 1843), once known as the “poetess of the Conodoguinet,” or more colorfully as that creek’s “muse,” was the second--and the first female--published Cumberland County poet in 1805 with Poems on Various Subjects, following the unknown writer of The Unequal Conflict in 1792.
Newton Township first appeared in Cumberland county tax records in 1773 although it was organized by 1767. In 1929, Newton divided into North Newton and South Newton Townships. The early settlers in the area were Scots-Irish but German families began to move in toward the end of the 18th century. By the time the township had formed, most of the land had been taken up and the area had a settled population.