Newville

Newville

Photo of High Street in Newville, Pennsylvania, decorated for the town's sesquicentennial.

The town of Newville lodges in the northwest corner of Cumberland County.1 The first settler, Andrew Ralston, arrived in 1728.2 The town was founded by Scots-Irish when the Big Spring Presbyterian Church, which dates to 1737, sold lots from its 89 acres in 1790.

Newville as It Is (1858)

On November 25, 1858 the Newville weekly newspaper, The Valley Star, published the first installment of a history and description of the village. It was entitled "Newville as it Was, and as it Is," and its author was identified simply as "A Citizen of Newville." The first essay, on early history, was received with so much interest and applause that the entire printing of the issue was quickly sold out, and the printer had to reprint it the citizens of Newville would "insist" that the author publish the sketches in book form. 

Isabella Oliver

Photo of the cover page from Oliver's Poems

Isabella Oliver, (July 16, 1771—June 7, 1843), once known as the “poetess of the Conodoguinet,” or more colorfully as that creek’s “muse,” was the second--and the first female--published Cumberland County poet in 1805 with Poems on Various Subjects, following the unknown writer of The Unequal Conflict in 1792.

State Commission Lists 48 Historical Markers in Cumberland County

Recently published by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission is a 216-page, new edition of its popular Guide to the State Historical Ma1kers of Pennsylvania. The compiler is George R. Beyer, a Commission historian who manages the marker program. Another state historian, Harold Myers, has written introductions to the twelve sections of the book which correspond with the dozen geographical regions into which the Commonwealth is divided for the marker purposes.

Pages