OF THEE I SING by George L. Jackson. (65 p-illust.-soft covers)
Lower Allen Township
In 1818, Edward Cavenaugh, a weaver living in Allen Township, Cumberland County, applied for a pension before Jacob Hendel, Judge of the Court of Common Pleas of Cumberland County.
Daniel Drawbaugh, born July 14th, 1827 in the town of Eberly’s Mills, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, is perhaps equally known for his brilliance and his greatest defeat.
The village of Lisburn is located in the eastern portion of Cumberland County in a loop of the Yellow Breeches Creek and is bounded by York County. An iron forge was established there before the Revolution and a mill in the 1780s.
In October 1988 the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of the beginning of construction on Pennsylvania's first super-highway. October 1990 will mark the similar anniversary of the turnpike 's official opening to traffic. Probably few of those who travel the turnpike today are aware that the route was originally planned as a railroad and that after two years of construction in the 1880's, the project lay abandoned for fifty-three years before the Turnpike Commission revived it.
Although the actual frontier or line of settlement of Europeans crossed beyond Pennsylvania during this time period, this study of the primary records of Allen Township demonstrates that the area retained a frontier mode of living. By the 1790's Georgian two story houses were built, but the majority of residents were huddled in one or two room log houses.
The National Register of Historic Places was organized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966.
Since the end of WWII Lower Allen Township has experienced a great growth in population and an accompanying change in character from rural to urban and suburban. There is concern in many quarters that continual growth will result, inexorably, in the destruction of part of its cultural heritage, that is, its old houses, mills, barns, and other structures which now dot the countryside.
Shiremanstown is a small community located twelve miles east of Carlisle and five miles west of Harrisburg. It derives its name from Daniel Shireman (1753-1810), one of the early land owners and settlers of the land that made up most of the town.
A collection of correspondence and memorabilia belonging to Vance Criswell McCormick rests in the archives of the Historical Society of Dauphin County. A part of the sixth generation of a Cumberland County family, he was born in Silver Spring Township in 1872. His family had settled along the Conodoguinet Creek before 1736. He wintered in Harrisburg and summered first at Rose Garden, Upper Allen Township, and later until his death in 1945 at the home of his wife, "Cedar Cliff," in Lower Allen Township.