Interview of Randall Adams of the Union Fire Company by Randy Watts on March 16, 2015. The interview focuses on the Union Fire Company in Carlisle, Pennsylvania as well as fire fighting in general.
“Ho! For California” headlined an item in the March 21, 1849 issue of the Carlisle Herald. “A party of enterprising adventurers, from Carlisle, consisting of Messrs. Geo. Fleming, Esq., Col. Simon Alter, Samuel F. Gaenslen, Geo. Keller, Wm. Keller, John C. Williams, and William Humer, left this place on Monday morning last for California. The party proceeds via Pittsburgh to the rendezvous at Independence, Missouri, where they will probably join one of the large expeditions on the overland route to California.”
In 1854 Americans took a detour from the road to civil war. It was the year of the Kansas-Nebraska act, which allowed slavery to spread into the formerly free Kansas territory. This act, the warfare between pro- and anti-slavery settlers in Kansas that followed, and the rise of the free soil Republican party, so inflamed hostile feelings between North and South that the firing on Fort Sumter took place less than seven years later. But 1854 was also the year that a new movement boiled up out of New York and Philadelphia to spill out across the entire country, a movement dedicated to suppressing the political power of immigrants in general, and Catholic immigrants in particular. This movement, whose supporters were known derisively as "Know Nothings", came to Cumberland County and shaped its politics for more than two years. This was the time, "when the Know Nothing furor swept over the land-when former majorities, political status, personal fitness and all similar considerations were tumbled into the common whirlpool of temporary political disintegration."
Three published works have dealt with routes through the area of Cumberland County which is west of Carlisle. In 1904 a Shippensburg attorney, John R. Miller, wrote Reminiscences of the Walnut Bottom Road. Five years later a Carlisle surveyor, John D. Hemminger, published Old Roads of Cumberland County.
Carlisle was abuzz when the little old lady hit town. But Carlisle was not that much of a back water place in 1828 to get so excited about the arrival of one frail, fifty-nine year old woman. Who was this woman who caused some of the town's leading citizens to either embrace her with enthusiasm or run and hide?
Archibald Loudon was perhaps the most important printer to set up shop in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. Actively at work between the years 1804 and 1818, Loudon was involved in bringing the first bit of cultural material of the United States to what was then the frontier of the new republic.
In April 1839, Sandel Arnold applied to the authorities in Wurttemberg, Germany to immigrate to America. Two years later, he was peddling goods out of his wagon to the residents of Cumberland County. Sandel Arnold was born in 1790 in Jebenhausen in the Goppingen District of (Württemberg) Germany. He was part of a large migration of German Jews to America in the nineteenth century. Like many Jewish men, he started business as a peddler.
Several notable paintings and portraits decorate the walls of the President's House of Dickinson College. Two favorites are the portraits hanging in the living room, of John McClintock and his first wife, Caroline Augusta. The portraits were given to the College by the Longacre family of Philadelphia, descendants of Caroline Augusta. Caroline's portrait was painted by Theodore Pine in 1850, when Caroline was thirty-six. Who painted John, and the year are unknown, but the work seems to have been done between 1836, when the McClintock's were married and 1850, when Augusta died.
The Artificial Swan, the Elephant, and the One Hundred Educated Canaries: Public Performance in Cumberland County 1800-1870
In the first decades of the nineteenth century, it was no simple matter for professional performers to get to the Cumberland Valley, and local newspaper coverage of entertainment is so sketchy that we can only guess at how often theatrical companies, musical groups, or other entertainers included Carlisle, Shippensburg, Chambersburg, and other towns on their itineraries. The first to advertise in the newspapers was a group of actors from Virginia and Maryland who came to Carlisle in October of 1791 and again in 1798. Both times, they stayed about a week and presented a series of currently popular plays, the most ambitious of which was Sheridan's The School for Scandal. On both occasions Carlisle was part of a circuit that took the company all the way from Yorktown, Virginia, to York, Pennsylvania.
Located on the York Road in the Borough of Carlisle’s east side is Ashland Cemetery. Its dedication took place October 8, 1865 with the Reverend Doctor Conway Wing giving an opening address.