Carlisle Herald, September 1, 1870. “MAGNIFICENT BIRTHDAY DEMONSTRATION—Splendid Pyrotechnic Display.—Mr. James W. Bosler, a citizen of this place, residing in the suburbs of the borough, gave a grand birthday party, pyrotechnic display, etc., in honor of his little son Charlie’s fifth birthday.
The Cumberland County Historical Encyclopedia is an expanding publication on the history of the Cumberland County. Covering a wide range of topics and the entire Cumberland County geographic region, the Encyclopedia seeks to be an initial entry point to those interested in the County's history. Entries seek to provide a list of resources available as well as showcasing some of the Cumberland County Historical Society's own collections.
Samuel Kronenberg, an entrepreneur of inexpensive yet fashionable men's clothing, immigrated from Germany to the United States in the early 1860s.1 The outbreak of the Civil War led to a blockade around New York, forcing Kronenberg to enter the country in Savannah, Georgia.2
For fifty years the Kruger Dairy served as one of the leading dairies in Carlisle, delivering milk to thousands of homes in Cumberland County.
From a confession written a day before his death, Pennsylvania’s Robin Hood recounted the story of David Lewis, better known as Lewis the Robber from his birth on Hanover Street in Carlisle on March 4, 1790 to his capture and eventual death in jail in Bellefone, Pennsylvania on July 13, 1820.
Clarence I. Lewis, a decorating painter, was born in St. Clair, Pennsylvania. He left high school his sophomore year to apprentice as decorating painter. In 1917 he joined the military as an insignia painter where he would later he paint equipment.
Printer, publisher, postmaster, bookseller, paper manufacturer and author, Archibald Loudon was “the most interesting of the early printers and publishers of Carlisle.” Archibald, son of James and Christiana Loudon, was reportedly born at sea on August 24, 1754 during his parent’s emigration from Scotland.
Fifty years after J. P. Lyne went out of business, an elderly man reminiscing about the Carlisle of his youth still remembered that “a mammoth wood and gilded sign of a padlock stood in front of J. P. Lyne’s hardware store.”Lyne worked as a coppersmith in Carlisle in the 1820s and 1830s, but by 1838 he had become a hardware merchant. The 1838 Triennial tax assessment listed “J. P. Lyne & Co., merchants.” A partnership with George W. Sheaffer was dissolved in 1845.
A landmark in Carlisle, the “Mansion House Hotel” operated on the south west corner of West High and Pitt streets from the late 1830s until the 1920s. Inns on that site had housed travelers since the days of the Revolutionary War. The first tavern on the site was kept by James Pollock in the eighteenth century.
Richard Martin’s son, Reverend Joseph Martin, wrote that his father’s daily book was the English Bible. “He read widely and of the best. He was a great admirer of Shakespeare and could recite passages by the page.
Charles Henry Masland, founder of C. H. Masland & Sons, was born on December 15, 1841, in Germantown, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Along with his father and three of his brothers, he served in the Union Army in the Civil War.