Forty-seven-year-old Irishman, Richard Dougherty, arrived in Carlisle in 1800 with his family. He placed an advertisement in Kline’s Carlisle Gazette announcing his plan to open an English school. He would run that school successfully for more than 20 years.
The Cumberland County Historical Encyclopedia is an expanding publication on the history of the Cumberland County. Covering a wide range of topics and the entire Cumberland County geographic region, the Encyclopedia seeks to be an initial entry point to those interested in the County's history. Entries seek to provide a list of resources available as well as showcasing some of the Cumberland County Historical Society's own collections.
Daniel Drawbaugh, born July 14th, 1827 in the town of Eberly’s Mills, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, is perhaps equally known for his brilliance and his greatest defeat.
Katharine Mary Drexel (26 November, 1858-3 March, 1955) was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She enjoyed a life of comfort and privilege before deciding to use her inherited wealth to establish a new religious order within the Roman Catholic Church. For her life and work, she has been formally recognized by her Church as one of its saints.
Emancipation Proclamation Grand Tournament held in Carlisle in 1869: Horses, Knights, a Queen and Maids of Honor
The August 6, 1869 edition of the Carlisle Herald reported on the Grand Tournament held several days before to celebrate “the emancipation of the slaves of the Southern States” by a procession through the streets of Carlisle and a tournament at Graham’s Grove.
Carlisle Herald, July 11, 1872. “The colored citizens of Carlisle and vicinity, contemplate holding a grand National celebration, in commemoration of the Emancipation Proclamation of President Lincoln in this place on Thursday, August 1, 1872.
The Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR) significantly expanded its infrastructure in the early 1900s to handle growing volumes of both freight and passenger traffic.
The village of Lisburn is located in the eastern portion of Cumberland County in a loop of the Yellow Breeches Creek and is bounded by York County. An iron forge was established there before the Revolution and a mill in the 1780s.
The Carlisle Borough Charter claims that the First Lutheran Church began about 1765 when the German immigrants of Reformed and Lutheran church background worshiped together in a union church on South Hanover Street near South Street.1 In 1807, the church divided and the Lutherans built
Sometime around 1890, members of Carlisle’s First Lutheran Church decided to create a ladies’ parlor, and one of their members donated a sofa to furnish it.
April 1 was known as “flitting day” in nineteenth-century Pennsylvania. It was the day when yearly leases expired, and tenant farmers, business men, mechanics and private citizens either renewed their leases for another year and “stayed put,” or they moved. Local newspapers usually ran a column or two about the “flittings,” noting the changes in location of hotel keepers and businessmen, and musing on the day in general. The editor of Carlisle’s American Volunteer waxed emotional about “flitting day” in his column on April 5, 1866.